European Code of Conduct for EPC
The European Code of Conduct for EPC has been developed within the project Transparense to define the basic values and principles that are considered fundamental for the successful preparation and implementation of EPC projects.. The European associations EFIEES and eu.ESCO become official European co-administrators of the Code as of 1st September 2015. Apply here to become a signatory.
The European Code of Conduct for EPC was launched by Transparense in 2014. It went through two year stakeholder process to make sure market players accept their principles. The Code of Conduct was developed in co-operation with the European associations of EPC providers - the European Association of Energy Service Companies (eu.ESCO) and the European Federation of Intelligent Energy Efficiency Services (EFIEES). While the Transparense project is completed in September 2015, the two European associations continue in administaring and maintaining the European Code of Conduct for EPC and related activities as it is in line with their goals in supporting the European EPC markets.
The European Code of Conduct for Energy Performance Contracting (EPC) was welcomed by market players in all 20 European countries participating in the Transparense project. By the end of September 2015, the Code of Conduct had more than 200 signatories across Europe (136 EPC providers, 14 national associations and two European associations of ESCOs, 54 facilitators and other signatories). The European Code of Conduct received a wide interest from the professional audience with 6,200 downloads of the Code of Conduct by the end of September 2015. The Code has been also presented at the two ESCO Europe 2015 Conferences in Milano and Vienna.
The main role of the Code of Conduct is to bring confidence to the EPC market in Europe and compliance with the Code of Conduct serves as a minimum guarantee of the quality of EPC projects implemented. The Code has vast potential to support EPC market development, which can be exploited, for example as discussion guideline between client and EPC provider, guidance for preparation of tender dossiers and contracts, marketing tool and foundation for EPC quality assurance scheme.
In March 2015 thirty three market players signed the Code of Conduct during National ESCO conference in Amsterdam.
Nine guiding principles of the European Code of Conduct for EPC
- The EPC provider delivers economically efficient savings
- The EPC provider takes over the performance risks
- Savings are guaranteed by the EPC provider and determined by M&V
- The EPC provider supports long-term use of energy management
- The relationship between the EPC provider and the Client is long-term, fair and transparent
- All steps in the process of the EPC project are conducted lawfully and with integrity
- The EPC provider supports the Client in financing of EPC project
- The EPC provider ensures qualified staff for EPC project implementation
- The EPC provider focuses on high quality and care in all phases of project implementation
phone: +420 224 252 115